Geez, what a busy summer! I think I’ve been turning around in ever increasing circles. I have found that it is impossible to do 2, let along 4 things at one time and when I decide which “thing” is more important I have to make myself not think about something equally urgent to do and just enjoy the moment of that ONE thing.
Today was the day to work on new music, I had a wonderful benefit to come into my life last week. I am in the Keys right now, below Florida, for those from other countries who don’t know what the Keys are. It is a string of small islands formed from Mangroves. The Overseas Hwy connects them, ended at Key West, 90 miles from Cuba, where I had lived for ten years prior to needing a liver transplant and needing a better hospital than was available. Enough of that!
Even though I was raised in Pennsylvania a long time ago, my heart is in the Keys. Since my grown son moved back, I took the opportunity to spend 50% of time with him and a couple of my grandchildren. But I needed a piano. Not want – need. What do I do? I went on Craig’s list for the first time and there was my piano. Almost literally. It was an earlier edition of my piano. Complete with 5 track recording and the same voice sounds. Different color, though, and 1/10th the price and the owner delivered it! Oh! Yes! I am a happy camper now!
This is what is on my list of things to be done and is in addition to all of the daily life things that everyone has to do.
1.Two blogs to upkeep and write for and all the social media stuff and communication that needs to be done to keep it going.
2. Three facebook pages. Personal, Jamie’s facebook page and my music page. Plus all the groups I’ve joined and pages I’ve liked that I won’t list. I try to get back to as many as I can. People won’t pay attention to you if you don’t throw some love their way – same with the blogs. And of course Twitter. Also Pintrest and G+. I post on them but I rarely go there and build traffic.
I Thought I’d add this. It isn’t a new piece, but I think I will be using it in my next music video
( and the list goes on! )
3. Annoying but important social media. As much of a time sucker that it is, I remember being a musician when there was no way to reach fans on a daily basis to let them know where I was singing. Social media has done a lot for indie artists of any kind. Dinosaurs like me (over 50) were overlooked back in the day unless you were already well known. Same with the book I’m writing. If you weren’t picked up by a publishing house you couldn’t put out a book, and if you tried there was no way to advertise it like we have today. Without social media there would be no indie – anything.
4. I need to start work on a new music video.
5. I need to finish the chapter I’m writing for my book in the making, “Inside The Forbidden Outside.
6. I need to start putting together my next ITFO News so I don’t have to cram it into two days.
7. Forget email, I’m too far behind
8. Update and show the love at reverbnation.com – It hosts my website: sonniquick.net I can have my music reviewed here and listen to other musicians. I have another blog here that I don’t have time to pay enough attention to. I can also check stats, growth, demographics and other stats and ratings.
9. Update YouTube, reply to comments and find other musicians to network with
10. SoundCloud streaming. I push a lot to create a following at this site.
So where do I begin? Well, I guess tonight I started right here. It would e great to see some of WordPress followers at some of my other sites.
All of this should be done every day – at least every other day – and it is impossible. Tonight I took a little time and put this into a blog post because I’m not posting enough on this blog.
I would LIKE to finish writing the chapters of my book and the music and get it ready for editing – by the end of the year. Can I do it? I’m trying.
I LOVE what I do and I’m confident that I can make this work. Life is for the living and I’m living mine as thoroughly as I can and loving every minute!